Anti-social behaviour

Tai Calon Community Housing recognises the upset and stress that can be caused by anti social behaviour; behaviour such as harassment, racial harassment, domestic violence and a range of general nuisance.

The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 introduced a legal definition for anti social behaviour as “behaving in a manner which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household”.

What is anti social behaviour?

Anti social behaviour can come in a wide variety of forms. For any behaviour to be classed as anti-social, it must be persistent. A one-off noisy party would cause disturbance to neighbours but isn’t classed as anti social behaviour. However, regular noisy parties would. Other examples of anti social behaviour include, but are not limited to:

Domestic violence, using aggressive and/or threatening language or behaviour, actual violence, threats of violence, damaging or threatening to damage someone’s property.

Hate crime is behaviour that targets groups or individuals because of their race, sexuality, physical disability or mental health issues, religion or learning difficulties.

What is nuisance behaviour?

Nuisance behaviour is “behaving unreasonably in a way that affects others living nearby or using communal facilities”. Examples of nuisance behaviour would include, but are not limited to: Any behaviour that the neighbours find a nuisance, or behaviour that is likely to cause a nuisance. Nuisance caused by pets or other animals such as dog aggression, fouling, being out of the owners control, allowing constant barking, noise nuisance caused by loud music or constant arguing, repairing vehicles in public areas, unlawful tipping or dumping of rubbish, inappropriate use of communal areas, selling or using illegal drugs, causing vandalism and graffiti. The time of day can be important in that loud televisions or music in the night are likely to disturb neighbours sleep and so will constitute a nuisance.

What can you do if you have a problem with your neighbour?

If this is the first time you have experienced a problem, it may be better to do nothing, as it could be a one off incident. However, the earlier a dispute is resolved, the better it is for everyone involved. First of all, try talking to your neighbour, as they may be unaware of the effect of their actions, and will stop as soon as they are made aware.

Approach your neighbour in a pleasant and calm manner, at a time when they are free to talk, and you can explain how their behaviour is affecting you. If this does not resolve the issue, then please contact Tai Calon. We will arrange for your Neighbourhood Manager to get in touch with you to discuss the matter. Only approach your neighbour if you feel it is safe to do so.

In cases where there has been violence, threats of violence or you feel threatened, then please report this to the police in the first instance, and then Tai Calon. We will work with the police and other agencies to resolve serious cases of anti social behaviour and harassment.

How can you report anti social or nuisance behaviour?

You can report anti social behaviour in a number of ways:

  • Telephone us on 0300 303 1717, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm.
  • Email us at
  • Visit us or write to us at:

Tai Calon Community Housing,
Solis One,
Rising Sun Industrial Estate,
Blaenau Gwent,
NP13 3JW.

You can also make a report via a third party, i.e. a friend, relative or another agency such as social services.

Can I make an anonymous complaint?

All reports of anti social behaviour are confidential. We would not disclose your complaint to a third party or the person, about whom you are complaining, without your permission. However, this may limit our investigation. If the complaint is anonymous, we may not have enough information or evidence to deal with it. Any legal action will require information that we are able to prove in a court. If the anti social behaviour is of a criminal nature, you can call Crimestoppers anonymously, 24 hours a day, on 0800 555 111. You can also contact the police – if it’s an emergency dial 999, otherwise ring 101, for example if you have witnessed a crime.

What will Tai Calon do to tackle anti social behaviour?

We are committed to tackling anti social behaviour, and its causes. We work with the following agencies, Gwent Police, the Community Mental Health Team, Blaenau Gwent Council, the Probation Service, the Youth Offending Service, support groups and agencies, such as Victim Support as well as other social landlords.

The Community Safety Partnership has a responsibility to minimise crime and disorder in Blaenau Gwent.

As a landlord we are committed to working with our communities to make our neighbourhoods pleasant and secure places to live. We will not tolerate unacceptable behaviour towards other tenants or towards members of  our staff or contractors working for us.

Where there is evidence of anti social behaviour, we will take action under the terms of the Tenancy Agreement to resolve the matter. This may include legal action.

What can you expect from us in cases of:

  • Very Serious Anti Social Behaviour directed at an individual or group of individuals that can cause harm, fear and intimidation.

We will make contact within one working day of a complaint being reported, to make an assessment of your case.

Activities may include gathering evidence and with your permission talking to the alleged perpetrator, or the removal of the offensive graffiti.

  • Behaviour, which may be a breach of tenancy but is not serious by nature or frequency and is not personally targeted.

We will contact you within 5 working days.

Investigating your Complaint and Taking Action

If you complain to us about anti social or nuisance behaviour, we will work with you to resolve the problem. We will take your complaint seriously and record the details. We will allocate the case to a named member ofstaff to investigate. We will develop a plan of action with you. We will keep you informed while we investigate the complaint. We will offer you support and ask other agencies, such as the police, to take action where necessary. We will explain to you our reasons for closing your case, before doing so.

Sources of Further Information and Advice:

Blaenau Gwent Council – C2BG helpline 01495 311556 for the following council departments: Environmental health, social services, Community Safety Partnership, recycling and waste disposal.

Phoenix Domestic Abuse Services – 01495 291202

Crimestoppers – 0800 555 111

In an emergency dial 999 and ask for the police, otherwise 101.